To treat periodontal disease at home it’s important to understand that there a lot of ways for you to do this. First of all, treating periodontal disease at home could mean that you can try to prevent it from happening. Prevention will always be the best treatment that’s why this article will list down a couple of methods to be free fro the problem.
With that said, this article will talk about 4 ways to treat periodontal disease at home. All these methods are easy to do and follow.
Tips To Treat Periodontal Disease At Home
How To Prevent It Happening
- Stop Smoking – smoking can prevent the gum tissue from properly healing. If it doesn’t heal then it’s going to remain vulnerable to bacteria which makes the situation even worse. It’s advised that you try to address this issue if you want to properly treat the disease.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene – how does periodontal disease happen in the first place? When plaque forms around our teeth, it not only target your teeth but the gums as well. With that said, it’s pretty obvious that practicing a good oral hygiene greatly reduces the risk of periodontal disease from happening in the first place.
How To Treat It At Home
- Oil Pulling – oil pulling is a practice that treats a lot of problems regarding your oral health. It treats tooth decay, toothaches, and even gum disease. It’s recommended that you use coconut or sesame oil. Swish the oil around your teeth for at least 20 minutes before spitting it out and rinsing thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Salt Water – salt water helps clean gums damaged by periodontal disease. Simply mix half a tablespoon of salt into a glass of lukewarm water and use it as a mouthwash. Rinse well for at least 30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times a day. Try not to practice this on a daily basis because it may damage your teeth.
- Herbal Mouthwash – sage is a great example of how a herbal mouthwash cures oral diseases. Take 2 tablespoons of sage powder or one dried sage leaf and mix it will with 2 cups of boiling water. Let it simmer, strain, and cool for the next 10 minutes before using it as a mouthwash.
Visiting Your Dentist
It’s important to remember that your dentist does treat periodontal diseases. Although there are different phases for you to wait until the need to visit your dentist but doing it as early as you can is recommended. You may not need dental treatment then but at least you’d know how bad it is and what you need to do to treat it properly. However, if your dentist does say that you need dental treatment then it’s best that you follow their advice.
The biggest take away from this article is that visiting your dentist helps give you the perspective needed to make the right decision. Only your dentist can give you this type of help and you should do well to heed their advice. Don’t underestimate the benefits one gets when listening to their dentist.