There are different causes of plaque that you don’t know you’re currently doing right now. Plaque is, of course, the number cause tooth decay and gum disease. If you wish to reduce the chances for these problems to occur, then let this article fill you in. This article will talk about the things that cause the formation of plaque.
The 5 Causes of Plaque You Should Know
3. What You’re Eating
Let’s start with the most obvious reason that plaque forms on your teeth, the food you’re eating.
There are certain types of food items that you should be more vigilant of. This is not to say that you should stop eating them entirely, but moderation is always a key practice.
Here are some examples of foods that cause plaque:
- Sugar – the harmful bacteria in your mouth love sugar. Your oral bacteria use sugar and break it down to an acidic compound. This compound is responsible for eating through your very own teeth.
- Bread – you might not think of bread as a strong reason for plaque formation but do think again. Once the bacteria gets a hold of the bread particles in your teeth, they quickly break it down to glucose. It’s sticky and it can easily get in between your teeth.
2. The Right Way of Cleaning Your Teeth
It’s common knowledge that one has to brush their teeth in order to keep it free of plaque. However, you may not be doing it the right way. Here are a few reminders:
- Brush At Least Twice A Day
- Replace Your Toothbrush After 3 Months Of Use
- Floss At Least Once A Day
- Use Anti-Bacterial Mouthwash
1. Failing To Visit Your Dentist
Dental visits are an important part of keeping a good dental hygiene.
By visiting your dentist, you are given a special cleaning treatment that gets rid of plaque and tartar. In addition, your teeth will be kept fresh and protected for the next couple of days.
If you’re worried that it’s going to consume too much time, then take relief on the fact that a dental visit is only required once every six months.
Make sure that you’re talking to your dentist about these concerns. Doing so will help you in the future and it saves you time and money.