These dental hygiene tips will help you understand what to do and what not do if you want healthier teeth. Everyone wants healthier teeth but not everyone is diligent enough to work for it. This leads to a lot of people today neglecting their oral health and thus experiencing problems like decay and gum disease. With that said, this article will talk about the best tips one can follow if they want healthier teeth.
5 Dental Hygiene Tips
- Your Diet – harmful oral bacteria is empowered when it comes in contact with certain food items. However, there are certain snacks out there that’ll help you combat decay and gum disease. Some of these examples include apples, strawberries, hard cheese, dairy products, and even fatty fish like salmon and tuna.
- Limit Your Sugar Intake – sugar is the number one culprit why a lot of patients suffer from tooth decay and cavities. This is because harmful bacteria use the compounds in sugar to create the acids that eat through your teeth. If you want to lower the risk of tooth decay, then reduce the amount of sugar you consume each day.
- Hydrate – a dry mouth is more susceptible to cavities and tooth decay because it’s unable to wash away any food particles left from meals. This is why a lot of dentists recommend that you drink the recommended amount of water a day; that’s 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters for women.
- Replace Your Toothbrush – one toothbrush is not enough to sustain your oral hygiene for life. This is because, like many products today, a toothbrush has its own lifespan. A toothbrush will only remain effective for 2 – 3 months. Once it has passed this time, make sure to get a replacement.
- Get A Dental Cleaning – dental cleanings ensure that any buildup of plaque and tartar are effectively removed. This is a cheap service that should only be taken every six months or at least twice a year.
Following even the simplest of dental hygiene tips should help your teeth out tremendously. Remember, once you undergo adulthood, you only have one set of teeth. If they’re removed, then they’re gone for good.